Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Aesthetic Tate Britian

When it comes to my Aesthetic I believe that I am a classicist. I happen to enjoy paintings where the colors flow together, complement each other, as well as balance each other out. I also prefer paintings of real things not blotches of paint on a canvas titled sunset, when in fact a blot of orange and yellow paint does not deserve the title of sunset.

Another thing that I include in my aesthetic is how it draws me in emotionally. How does the painting make me feel, does it make me happy or sad? Do I get a peaceful feeling when I am looking at it? I enjoy all different paintings that cause me to feel some sort of emotion.

When it comes to Turner and Rothko I noticed some similarities between the two artists. They had some similar brush strokes. Turner was a great artist who had a lot of variation in his work from abstract horizons, with sunsets to these beautiful paintings of Venice, and other beautiful places. From what I saw from Rothko he only painted these abstract and off the wall painting.

In all honestly I did not care for Rothko’s work. It was something that I could have created. I did like however the how he used different shades of red in one of his paintings. As I was sitting in the one room with the large paintings for some bizarre reason I felt really uncomfortable.

1 comment:

  1. Honorably straightforward! But does Turner's "blot of orange and yellow paint" deserve the title sunset? (Often, that's all there is!)

    ReplyDelete