Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Saatchi and The Tate Modern






Yesterday we went to two different modern art museums here in London. The first was the Saatchi, and second was the Tate Modern. For some reason I have never been a huge fan of modern art every time I enter a modern art museum I see some off the wall things that I do not consider art, but then again who am I to say what is and what is not art.
While I was at the Saatchi their were three works that really spoke to me. The one with the most impact on me was from the artist Shadi Ghadirian in his or her Untitled form the like everyday series. It was a series of paintings of women from the Middle East but in place of their faces was an object that in many ways tell women their place in that particular society. Take for instance the one with a broom as her face this message is telling women that their job in that society is to sweep and to do chores around the house. It is demonstrating some of the inequalities between men and women. Nearly all of cultures in world are patriarchal societies where the men are in charge and are viewed as superior to women. This is so even in America where women are expected to do a “Second Shift” once they come home from work. I like these paintings because I believe that the artist wants his or her culture to break away from that. The artist believes that women should not be viewed as brooms, mops, irons, and plates or anything like that women should be viewed as humans.

The second work that I really enjoyed was a painting Ahmed Alsoudani titled Baghdad I. I love this painting because it was so abstract and do different. I loved his use of colors and how the painting seems to flow together even though it is so abstract. For some reason I really like it.

The third exhibit that I really enjoyed was located downstairs in Gallery 13. It was the one of a bunch of old men sitting in wheelchairs rust rolling around randomly. I like it because at first it looked funny, then when you got closer it looked kind of creepy because these men looked real. After stand back and watching these fake old men roll around in their wheelchairs I was trying to figure out what the artist wants us to get form this exhibit. After thinking a bit more I have come to the conclusion that the artist wants us to realize that when we get old we might end up in a wheelchair just randomly rolling around a room. It is kind of sad and it makes me not want to get old.

After the Saatchi we ate lunch and then took a bus to St. Paul’s Cathedral and then took the Millennium Bridge over the Thames to the Tate Modern. I enjoyed the Tate it had a lot of interesting things, and had a lot of people there.
One exhibit that I enjoyed a lot was the blue and yellow bunk beds all with one book on top of each bed. With a HUGE black spider above the beds and old movies playing in the background with red arches going here and there. I think the artist is trying to say is that when you are a child (bunk beds usually children sleep in bunk beds) in your dreams everything seems larger than life, like the huge spider. This is so especially if you are freighted but something such as a spider. I think the red arches symbolize pain or fear and the movies I can’t really explained.
The next exhibit that I really enjoyed was by Joseph Beuys, titled The Pack 1969. I loved this one because it was a gray/ white VW Bus that had several wooden sleds behind it, each sled containing a survival kit, with felt, belts and flashlights. I think Beuys was trying to say that cars and technology can only get you so far eventually you may need to get back to more basic stuff like a simple wooden sled and a flash light.

I also enjoyed the painting in the Tate restaurant by James Aldridge. I like it because it takes a pretty scenic view of trees and woodlands and adds a bit of heavy metal music to it I like the colors that he chose and all of the birds in the wallpaper

No comments:

Post a Comment