Monday, May 11, 2009

The British Museum




The British Museum

This was my second trip to the British Museum and I enjoyed it just as much the second first. On this trip to the Museum I focused on the architecture of the Great Court. I enjoyed the skylight it made just lit up the Great Court making it a very welcome and inviting area. I enjoyed the writing along the top dedicating the Great Court to the Queen. I don’t really know how functional the Great Court is if the museum ever has to expand they will realize that there is a lot of wasted space. It seemed as if the stairs that took forever to climb only really lead to the restaurant and one other gallery. I did think it was really smart how they located the bathrooms in the Great Court it is in the center of the museum and every knows where it is making it a convenient place for the toilet.
I really enjoyed the East Asian art galleries the last time I was at the museum I was running out of time so I only walked through it very briefly. I really enjoyed the Shiva Nataraja, which is said to be the Hindu god Shiva who is a cosmic dancer who performs his divine dance to destroy a weary universe and make preparations for god Brahma to start the process of creation.
I ended my trip in the museum by going into the ancient Greek Galleries. I really enjoyed the Elgin Marbles where the Centaur and Lapith have a series of battle scenes. It was amazing all of the detail in the sculptures I was a little disappointed to see that many of them have been damaged over the years, but I am amazed by the detail in the arms and bodies everything is carved out with so much detail. After looking at all of the different panels it is hard to determine who won the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment